Sunday, August 26, 2007

I'M LEAVING A TRAIL OF POEMS

I AM LEAVING A TRAIL OF POEMS BEHIND ME AS I GO*

I am leaving a trail of poems behind me as I go
Cycles of love poems dedicated to my loves
I hope my men will dream of me for years
Remembrance of me may even bring tears
Of the treasures and thrills that I did bestow
As we soared in the air like a swirl of white doves

I am leaving a trail of poems behind me as I go
Epic poems singing of Lilith, Simonetta, and Sandra, too
Love sonnets that end happily
Bawdy poems that stir merrily
Mock-epics of my love affairs where I couldn't say no
This wondrous collection of poems unknown but true

I am leaving a trail of poems behind me as I go
Will they make me memorable in times to come
Will readers appreciate my humor and wit
Will they get all I'm trying to get
They're an examination of all that I know
A masterpiece of my life which I lightly hum


From CARNIVAL EVENING BY Linda Pastan

2004

No comments: